We had a fabulous trip over the long weekend to Austin, Texas. While we are really big on just hanging out with each other, we did do some neat things during our trip together.
Friday
We all arrived fairly late, but we zipped over to David and Catherine's apartment and dug into delicious quesadillas, guacamole, and awesome baked goods made by Catherine. We actually acted like we'd never seen food before in our lives...
Saturday
After sleeping in a bit, we headed from the hotel back to David and Catherine's for another awesome meal--this time, brunch. We caught up, watched a movie, and then headed to the state capitol. Now, for those of you who imagine Texans wearing cowboy boots and hats, this was where you'd find them. The state troopers adequately fit the 'cowboy' stereotype. I really enjoyed the trip because I'd never actually been inside my home state's capitol (sad, I know), but it was quite amazing. We snapped some neat group pictures in front as well.
Next we headed over to Central Market, just a hop, skip and jump away from D & C's apartment. Here we loaded up on 'appetizers' (i.e.--free samples) before dinner. I believe a few other customers had the same idea as us since we were being followed each time we found any plastic-encased display. Hey, our actions were justified since we did make some purchases. Then for dinner we headed over to The Salt Lick. I'd been hearing about this BBQ restaurant for years and am so glad we all went. It's a banquet style, BYOB restaurant possibly made (more) famous by it's appearance on Man vs. Food. The food was delicious and the conversation fun. I think, though, the highlight for me was the amazing blackberry cobbler. Wow.
After driving through beautiful hill country to attend church, we stopped for lunch outside at Shady Grove. Let me just say that after a few months of freezing cold South Carolina weather, the 60-ish degree temperature that day was a very warm welcome. David and Jonathan each ordered a "Bad Dog" which is essentially an oversized extra long chili cheese coney. Though the size was potentially intimidating, both boys fared pretty well.
(I would have thought a plate-sized pancake would have made David smile...)
We had a great time, as always. Thanks again, David and Catherine, for hosting us. :)
I'm glad you guys had a fun and SAFE trip!
ReplyDeleteStrangely, I've never been to the capital either. And I'm telling you....you made me HUNGRY talking about all that yummy food. The extra long cheese coney just about sent me over the edge!
ReplyDeleteSeriously, stop it with the food talk. I had a plain can of tuna for dinner tonight. Yuck. I think I need to travel with you...I always remember my trips based on the food we ate! Haha! ;o)
ReplyDelete