Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Top Three Favorite Broadway Musicals

It's been a while since I've posted, and I have been thinking of several things I've wanted to post, but this topic popped into my head last night. Jonathan shared his new "Broadway" playlist for me in the car, and as I was quietly singing along (I was too tired to sing at my normal volume), I decided to share my top 3 favorite musicals:

Yes, it's true you have to like (or at least tolerate) ABBA to enjoy the musical, but that is no problem for me. I remember when I was young, my mom would exercise on her stationary bike to ABBA songs, and I recall listening to the cassette a few times myself. I'd gotten hooked. So you could imagine the musical is even more amazing to me. Not only are the songs great, but the plot is also actually very entertaining and humorous, it's danceable, and the acting has always been fabulous in all of the four (yes, four) shows I've seen. And this is the musical I secretly want to be in.

I love stories that portray "the other side of the story." Wicked does just that. Forget Dorothy! The best aspects of this musical to me are the witty writing, the musical score, and the amazing actors/singers they hire for the parts! It's all around such a good production. I've seen this one now three times.

3. Cats
I am sad this is no longer running on Broadway (though it might be touring in some cities), but I am glad I got to see it once before it was taken off. Again, I have memories of some of the songs from this musical as a kid (I even skated to "Memory," dressed like a cat in a sweet black unitard). We finally saw Cats on our family London trip in 2000. I think what sealed the deal for me liking this musical so much was the actual experience of seeing it. We were in this very intimate theater, and I had an aisle seat. At the beginning of the show, the cats came out an interacted with the audience. A cat came to me and "scratched" on my pants. It was really cool. I also loved that there was so much dancing involved in this musical.

If I had to give an honorable mention, it would be The Phantom of the Opera (Jonathan's favorite). Again , I have some fun(ny) childhood memories of some of the songs, one of which includes my brother and me belting out high octaves to the song "The Phantom of the Opera" in the car (thanks, travel tape).

2 comments:

  1. I love musicals! Your top three are all good ones. I hadn't seen Wicked until this summer and I really liked it. But, as cliche as it sounds, my favorites are still Phantom and Les Mis. I also really liked Beautiful Game. I really just enjoy musicals in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so funny, because Jason and I were just saying how everyone seems to LOVE Mama Mia and we just don't get all the hype! I guess we missed out on a generational thing. We live the music, but Jason's parents seems to have some sort of unhealthy connection to it. We just use it to tease them mercilessly about it! =0)

    ReplyDelete