Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Mac 'n Cheese

The other night I had a hankering for Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. So I bought some and spent the requisite 10 minutes cooking it, and it was delicious. The last time I ate this kind? I think I was eight or nine. Sometimes, when we were feeling fancy, my parents would cut up hot dogs and mix with the mac 'n cheese. Thus, as a kid, I knew mac 'n cheese to be a fun, quick meal that was also delicious.

So when I moved out here, I was surprised to see mac 'n cheese served as a staple dish at any large meal: Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Fourth of July, etc. But it's not the Kraft kind; it's homemade. And it is even more delicious than Kraft, or any store brand you could find. Often, at a potluck (aka 'covered dish' out here), you will see multiple dishes of mac 'n cheese lined up on vast tables. And you feel obligated to have a sampling of each one. And each and every one is just as delicious as the other. People out here sure know how to cook their mac 'n cheese. I probably need to come up with my own recipe to prepare for family meals in the future, but for now, Kraft does the trick.

2 comments:

  1. This is hilarious! I am at a stage right now where I would do anything to avoid the mac' n cheese (or hot dogs!) But I guess homemade counts as "adult" food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Kraft Mac n cheese too...remnant from childhood! But you are so right...homemade mac n cheese takes the cake. I found a Paula Dean recipe that has sour cream in it and man, it is SO good. I love to make it for "covered dish" (!) get-togethers!

    ReplyDelete