Little known fact about me: I LOVE the Olympics. Especially the Winter Olympics. Of course my bias comes from the fact that I used to be a figure skater, hence my preference for the games. I've been staying up past my bedtime, dedicated to watching certain events, with the consolation that my fatigue the next day is worth the four-year wait each time.
But I've come to realize that I don't just enjoy watching the skating. I love watching the skiing and speed skating events, too. I am amazed at these athletes who can zoom down a hill at 70 miles per hour, some crashing and getting up and walking away, and some getting knocked out cold. It's amazing! Yet also frightening. But something continues to draw me to it, even knowing there is a large possibility that the skiiers will wipe out. This is what makes the Winter Olympics a little more exciting to me than the Summer Olympics: the danger and risk these athletes experience (though, of course, I hate to see injured people). For me, the highlights of the games have been:
1. Evan Lysacek winning gold in men's figure skating. I know, I know, most of you probably didn't watch this event. But since I knew we had a strong men's team, I had to watch. Even better, since the former Olympic champion from Russia was back, I was interested in the rivalry. It was the first men's gold in skating in 22 years. When Evan won I cheered (softly, I thought) and woke Jonathan up, scaring the living daylights out of him.
2. Lindsey Vonn winning the gold in downhill skiing. Seeing Julia Mancuso winning silver was great, too. Did anyone else notice the tiara painted on her helmet?
3. Anything Apolo Ohno does. I love how he conserves energy during the first three quarters of the race by staying behind skaters and strategically moves past them at the end to win. So far, his strategy has earned him seven medals throughout his Olympic years.
And, of course, I can't wait until Tuesday when the ladies' figure skating begins!
I wish I could indulge in the oplympics with you! I feel very out of the loop right now. But I do love how much this post reminds me of you and makes me wish you lived closer!
ReplyDeleteI love the Olympics too! And I remember watching you figure skate - you could have made the Olympics! ;)
ReplyDelete