Sunday, September 19, 2010

Wedding Cake



It's no secret--I LOVE wedding cake. Wedding cake is one of the many reasons I like to attend weddings (of course, not the ONLY reason!). At every wedding we attend, I can usually be found lurking around the cake table waiting for the bride and groom to cut it. Why am I like this? Well, it helps that I like cake in general. But I think the big appeal of wedding cake is the mystery going into it. What flavor(s) will it be? Does it have filling? What will the icing taste like? I love the variety.

Growing up in Texas, almost every wedding I attended, and then including my own (see pictures above), had a bride's cake which is usually vanilla, 'white' cake or a variation of that, and a groom's cake which is chocolate. But when I first moved out here, at the first wedding I attended (before we got married), I could only spot the bride's cake. So I turned to Jonathan and asked, "Where's the groom's cake?" His response was, "Huh?" Apparently having both bride and groom cakes at a wedding reception is strictly a Texas tradition, with some exceptions to that rule. Often, around here, a groom will have his own cake at the rehearsal dinner. And because of this, the brides' cakes can be fairly interesting, alternating flavors of both chocolate and vanilla between layers, as well as having yummy fillings.

We attended a wedding last night and I was pleasantly surprised to see both bride and groom cakes at the reception! This has been only the second wedding since I've lived in "the south" that had both. Ironically and sadly, we were unable to stay for the cake (I won't get into that now). Instead I ate a hershey bar on the 2 1/2 hour drive back. Not quite up to par with what could have been. But I was happy to see two cakes last night, nonetheless. I'm sure they were delicious.

2 comments:

  1. First of all, you guys are so cute in those pictures! And secondly, have you tried the wedding cake flavored ice cream at cold stone? I love it paired with a chocolate ice cream of some sort. Then it's like brides cake and grooms cake together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look how young those two people in the picture are! ;0) I heard that we are the only brilliant enough people to have two cakes, and wasn't sure why the rest of the country hasn't caught on? My favorite thing about groom's cakes...chocolate covered strawberries!

    ReplyDelete